Sunday, October 11, 2015

My Life as a travian player in s2.in 2009(My First Server!)

My association with Travian is what i enjoy most right now in my life, i chose the roman tribe when playing s2.in, i must say that i really enjoyed each and every moment of my travian game play. The game is really very good.

My coming on s2.in was entirely accidental, at that time i was just a noob(a term used to describe a new player in travian) so instead of s3.in server i by mistake chose the s2.in server, i later discovered this many months afterwards. so, i was having a late start, but fortunately even after 7 months, i found that there were people like me who had started late.

I made a new account with my own name in capital letters MAHERNOZ.It seemed to me to generate some kind of mystical power if something is written in capital. It later turn out that very few people use their own name or pet name in making their travian names. The idea behind is, two things.
1) They play different servers and make enemies, so their enemies wont recognize them if they changed names.
2) Most noobs who play travian for the first time, make account names with their own names. It signifies some kind of noobality.

I registered on a Travian 3.5 version server on 15th August 2009. It was a national holiday, a saturday(weekend off too!) and seeing so many Ads on the internet, i decided that i will give it a try as i was sitting alone at home. So i started my account at morning at 9 i guess.

My initial first impression was "it should be like Age of Empires"(a game i previously played), but it wasn't it was a bit different. I also saw they had a forum to discuss things related to travian. Also searching on google, later some days i also found guides related to travian as how to make a good start, etc. I also found a youtube video as there were two friends/brothers explaining travian, there are many videos..

Travian Beginner Videos 

So, armed with my beginner knowledge. I started to make my army and my village. But my progress was very slow. Later i came to know that Romans are a very slow tribe to start with, and as far as beginners go, they should choose the Gauls rather than Romans. However, it wasn't my undoing this time, because the travian startup screen wrongfully used to advice new players to take up romans if they are new to travian, later, i guess in 2011, they changed it to Gaul as the preferred tribe for new players.
A word of Advice
Romans could be a tricky tribe at the beginning of the game for nongold players. It gives you option of putting two things in queue without using gold. One for resources and others for buildings. If you put both in queue, you will have very less resources left and slow development. The trick is to avoid the 2nd queue of buildings as much as possible and to use it only when necessary(for example Main Building, Warehouse, Granary are a necessity)  unless you have atleast one village fully developed resource tiles. 

Well, then i received an alliance requests. I decided to join an alliance called Maximus(to be later named as newname), at that time everything was going good, but when RavDev an experienced player came we were very happy, but later some dispute arose and RavDev kicked off many players excluding me and phk (who were close neighbours), i received a lot of advice from phk. He looked like a guru to me. So, a player named phk was my first guru in travian. Later on many gurus came into my life, and i learned a lot from each of them. I learned a lot of basic stuff from phk.

My village progress showed something which cannot be under-estimated, i am working in such a busy project for almost 12-14 hrs a day, people will forget everything about their lives, but i wanted to make a point that in-spite of the fact that my life is so busy i will still do something for my own self. As i was living alone and my family way back in baroda, so right now it's travian which can be called my "personal life". It turns out later that i chose a very trivial purpose to live, that is to make my village and then to make more villages, to get a truckload of villages! I guess that's the reason i also got emotionally attached with travian.

When loosing almost all the friends(who all later formed an alliance named UOA), me and phk decided to join the UOA allliance where most of our friends were. first phk joined and later the next day i also joined UOA. Slowly i was getting grasp of the game, and there were many attacks daily coming from Soco players, but i made a very solid defense and with great difficulty i made my 2nd village.

this went on and i went on to my 3rd village. So, having made 3 villages,I made a village each from my family member's name.

Here is the full profile on getter.

Now, here i made one mistake, i established myself and thought that i should now bring down my enemies. I started making Equites legati. In large numbers maybe 200 of them. But later when i sent my attack, it turned out that this troop is just a scout unit, there is no attacking or killing ability of this troop. Uh, bad choice!


A photo of Equites Legati.(scouts)

The Choice between EC and EI
So, once again i researched the internet, as i had not properly done.. or maybe i never researched anything. I also asked phk, and he too confirmed the same, that ECs are the strongest.

Equites Caesaries

Attack valueDefense against infantryDefense against cavalry
Value at troop level 018080105

Speed10 Fields per hour
Can carry70 Resources

Equites Imperatoris

Attack valueDefense against infantryDefense against cavalry
Value at troop level 01206550
Speed14 Fields per hour
Can carry100 Resources
EI had speed, more resource carrying capacity. 
EC had more attack power and powerful defenses. 

Now i was in office most of the time, so i thought that if somone attacks me, i would be having more chances for my troops to suvive if they are more stronger. 
Though ECs are less in speed and less in resource carrying capacity(loot) they are more sustainable. So, i decided that i should go for the safer option of making ECs. So, this time i came to the conclusion that i should be building Equites Caesaries.

Now, these guys are the strongest troops in not only the Roman tribe but the whole of travian tribes. But they were quite costly. I was making ECs(short name for Equites Caesaries) 24x7 but now i needed more resources as i had only 3 villas fully developed. I came to know about a site called gettertools.com where i can search for inactives and start raiding them. When i raid, i loot resources from them. So, now all was set. I had around 75 ECs and i sent my first attack on a player named ddesarkar3. This guy had 3 villages. But i was too scared to send my ECs as it took my long time to make those 75 ECs, but i dont remember whether i scouted or not. But my first raid was a fully bounty. So, it was confirmed that this guy was a farm and inactive for a pretty long time.



So, each day, i came back from office, send my raids, and it took 1hr 18 mins to reach the ECs and an equal time to come back. I used to send 2 raids in a day, one in evening and other at morning, as i got up at 7am and send the raids, by the time the raids come back after 2hrs 36 mins, i was in office. So, there was no chance of getting more raids. The same thing happened in evening... i send the raids at 8pm and they used to come back at 11pm, if i was still not sleep, i send more raids to the same 3 villas of ddeserkar3.

After that i become more greedy, i wanted to capture as much raiding time as possible, so i woke up early in morning, my laptop was always on, so no time wasted in switching on the machine, i used to keep alarms, so that i can send a raid every 2.36 hrs, as soon as i sent raids i once again went back to sleep. So, in this way, my EC count grew to 750. Now i never raided anyone else but only ddeserkar3 but i raided only 1 village of his, now i wanted to raid his other villas too!

If you remember, i had too much reluctance while sending my first raid to ddeserkar3, and now i was planing to raid his all villas. But for that i needed to remove his defenses. This Reluctance was now gone, and instead i started making plans and ways to get more raids. I removed his defenses with help of making more Imperians.

Now, these imperians were very good at attacking. I removed all the defenses from his other villages. Also, at the same time, i was making more villages, this time for name of my mom and dad too!

I remember two more incidents... there was a lady player from SOCO who was kind enough to support me. I had a 15c, of which i didnt knew how to use, as i thought i made a bad choice! This 15c had a lot of crops, and daily i use to give her around 50-60k crops and in return i use to get 100k-120k resources of whatever i asked her whether its lumber,wood,clay. And she in-spite of being a big player allowed me to trade. On the other hand, if any raid came, i never conceded any resources to the raider, i used to quickly send it to her, and in return she would send me the required resources. I thank that lady even today, too bad i don't remember her player name.

There was also another player from Soco-I called Gagan0177 whom i asked advice as he was near to me, instead he sent me a link, that opened nothing but a new tab in the browser. Later it was known that he was playing some joke.

2nd incident was the going away of my guru phk. He wrote me that he is quitting the game, i told him please dont (this is my habit even today, i dont allow players to delete and instead motivate them to finish the server). He said dont worry, i will send you all my ECs for your defenses. I was delighted, that now i will also have phk ECs as defenses. He promptly send me the defenses as promised and after three days, he got deleted. (Travian has a 3 day waiting period after you select delete so that if you want to change your mind you have those 3 days, an excellent strategy to get players hooked to the game). But as soon as he got deleted, at my horror all his troops also vanished. I came to realize that my guru had tricked me but while going he taught me an important lesson, to check the facts before saying yes to something even if its from your guru himelf, and 2ndly a travian concept that in travian, when a player deletes, everything goes away with the player. Nothing remains of him on the server.

So, i went on to play, i didn't wanted to get deleted like my guru, but i wanted to learn the game on my own, with or without a guru.

My Friendship with Driveshaft, the UOA alliance lead
Now, there was a player called driveshaft, who was the leader of our alliance UOA. I found that he had a yahoo messenger account, i installed the yahoo messenger, and found him online, i pinged him and we daily had some chat about travian and alliance strategy and everything, at that time i found it thrilling to talk to the leader of such a big alliance. We even exchanged our phone numbers, and we talked on the phone too. (At that time we had not whatsapp on our phones).

One fine day, i was at Crossword stores, and i got his call. i picked it up, and started talking, he asked me where i am , i said i am at crossword, he asked me which crossword? i found it strange, but i said to him the crossword at oberoi mall in goregaon.. he asked me oh, which section you are at? i replied him the finance/business books section(since crossword dont have an IT section and 2ndly at that stage of my life, i was learning about how investing in stocks worked). A person who wore a crossword badge came behind me and he asked me "Are you Mahernoz?" i was surprised, i said yes, who are you? .. he replied "He is Driveshaft! and he is the manager of this crossword store!". His real name was Amit Popat. It was really a surprise for me, that i was standing in his store, and i got a phone call from him at the same time... he said he recognized the background music was from his own store.... that's the reason he asked me where exactly i am standing. I met amit popat, and since then i believed that it was work of god, that he introduced me in the most amazing way. We became real life friends till date.  We had our quarrels(in the next server!) but we were like friends and we forgive each other because we value our friendship more than anything else. We had lunch in the food court of oberoi mall and every week we used to discuss about travian strategies. We were great pals together.

Amit even allocated me a sitter called samchand (its a functionality in travian where one person can sit for two more persons using his own password if those persons had given him sitter access). He used to keep tabs on my account when i was in office, so now my account was safe even when i was in office.. and i had no reason to worry about my troops! Sitter functionality is a very important part of survival for any travian alliance at the later part of the game, where most players quit or stop playing.. and so the sitter, who is an active player manages the account. Now, this samchand, was not that of an active sitter, but i urged him to atleast look for any incoming attacks and move the troops, i expected nothing more from him.

Change of Phone (for Travian?)
I bought a new phone, the Nokia Xpress Music 5800. My old sony phone had stopped working, so i had to buy one in hurry, and fortunately it turned out to be a very good phone.


Now, this phone had a web browser and unlike my old Sony phone w700i (which was the best music phone), this phone though it didnt had as good music as the w700i had other features like Internet Browsing (the site looked almost exactly as it was on desktop). It also had GPS, so i used that a lot, instead of asking for a route, i used to take out my phone and follow the GPS. In Travian terms, I even now had more raiding time as i could send raids from the office during lunch hours using my mobile phone and also ensure safety of my troops. Plus any excess crops if getting overflown were promptly sent to "The lady" who in exchange sent me other crops. But i never gave any resource to any raider.

First Major Attack on Me 
Now a sad incident happened, my grandma died and there was no chance at that time, that i could be online in those times. After finishing the rites, i came back home only to find that some player had finished off all my troops.


Now, everything had to be brought back again, after this also he had sent multiple waves and destroyed much of my infra, i did saw that in my mobile, but i was not willing to give any reply at such a moment. I hoped that my sitter samchand comes online, but i didn't had any inclination also at that time, to write to samchand to look at the account. I dont remember that player's name now, in 2015 who attacked me at the wrong time, in 2009. I just remember that he was a Saints Alliance player. Bad memory, i dont remember that name!

The World Wonder Wars
The World wonder fight time started, but i was not aware about it. I was just playing my own game, my guru had left, so there was no one to guide me on whats it all about, my friend google once again came to my rescue.

A travian world wonder as shown above.

This is what i read about the Travian World Wonder at Travian Wiki Page.
http://travian.wikia.com/wiki/World_Wonder
World Wonder is part of the final stage of play on each Travian server.

Alliances scramble to build 100 levels at enormous cost and some risk as other alliances try to prevent this by attacking. The first alliance to successfully build a World Wonder to level 100 wins the Travian server.

Our alliance UOA was full of first time players like me, who had no experience of building a travian world wonder. The players with most number of villas was driveshaft (5 villas). So, it was obvious that UOA should either mix with Saints or SOCO (the two big alliances or i might say two big METAs, a collection of alliances, fighting for supremacy). UOA had to decide whether to join Saints or SOCO. Driveshaft got invite from both Saints and SOCO. He decided to join with Saints as they had better winning chances compared to SOCO.

On the other hand, i decided to join with SOCO. Mainly because SOCO players had been kind to me previously and Saints players were trying to raid me all the time. Also that incident where a Saints player finished all my troops was fresh in my mind. Further, to join SOCO and "strengthen" a weak team and in the process learn to play the game with the friendly SOCO players as they were always ready to give me advice whenever i asked for it (apart from google, my best friend), so in my first server i chose learning over winning.  I knew i would loose by this decision, but staying with SOCO i had better chances of learning the game.

Joining soco sounded a more wonderful idea to me than joining an alliance like Saints which were a far bigger team and i would be like a nobody there. So, i joined SOCO-I for the last month of the server by leaving UOA, which was named as renamed as SaintsGN.

A huge fight erupted between Saints and SOCO, some of the reports are given below. SOCO  had IronFist WW, and Saints were the supreme players, and they had two WWs, one obviously SOCO would bring it down but another would continue to ensure victory for the saints.

If you are more interested to see the reports of this epic fight, you can see them still at Travian Forum Archives linkhttp://forum.travian.in/forumdisplay.php?f=100
You will need to create a free account to view the forum.

On my part of the story, instead of UOA, a small alliance which never took a fight to anyone, i was now in the fighters club the Soco-I alliance. I spoke again to "The Lady" and she arranged my inclusion to SOCO.


As you can see, in 55 members alliance, i was the last guy! Standing proud!

Now, having lost all my troops to a saints player, and i was now in saint's rival alliance soco, it was my turn to take revenge on saints alliance! So, i was planning to bring down the Saints WW!

I toiled hard now, day and night, to make the army, the killer army which would bring down atleast one saints ww. The Saints were approaching near to level 100 mark, which would ensure that victory and to our dismay the SOCO  leadership was not doing anything about it. There came Level 87, when a player called Avalanche was frustrated and he and along with some guys decided to throw their hammers on Saints WW. Actually, as per my understanding today, Avalanche was wrong, and SOCO leaders were right in waiting for the right moment. As per the World Wonder, it takes more build time to finish off the later levels, and more resources too.. so if we attack after level 95, it would be more damage to the Saints.  But, beginners dont actually understand this and start to get impatient, depressed when enemy WW reaches 80+. 

But at that time, i thought that Avalanche was right, and I asked him that i have my troops ready, and i want to bring down Saints WW, he asked me how many troops. I said 5000 Imperians. He laughed, saying that the defenses are in lakhs, what would 5000 imperians do? Well, send it! At-least some damage would be done. But here too Avalanche was wrong, instead of making me send the hammer, he should have told me to wait till level 95 and make as much more imperians.

So, i send my hammer much before time and it got killed. The Hammer travelled 63:03:34, 63 hours, 3 minutes and 34 seconds to reach its destination. I never got to know how many troops i killed in my first failed attack, but someone in forum posted his troop count, and so, i am recreating the report below from that.

But one thing i did experienced it, its a great feeling to attack a world wonder!

In my next days, i figured out that i could not make a significant contribution in terms of hammer size, and the last attack was indeed a blunder. So, instead of hammer i began to make Praetorians and Legions. I figured out that in hammer, i could make a proper hammer in only one villa, but i can make more defenses for the alliance in the given time. So, instead of one Imperians or EC, i made 5 pretorians at the same time. I started pumping Praetorians now. They were quite good at defending against Infantry.

One fine day, SOCO WW was brought completely down.
http://travian-reports.net/us/report/590552bc68e
http://travian-reports.net/us/report/590564c55e0
http://travian-reports.net/us/report/59061da6a0e
http://travian-reports.net/us/report/5915088e0a2

As you can see, IronFist had 779k defenses only, and out of the 348k defenses, some prets like 10k belonged to me. On the other hand Vins, the winner of the server had 2000k defenses.

Driveshaft, on the other hand, was going an easy life, along with his mates, he had chosen the Saints alliance, but never attacked a WW. He just went on simming along with his friends to reach a pop of 2072 with 5 villages, on the other hand i had made a pop of 1963 with 5 villages but i had also made troops!
Such comparision with Driveshaft was predominant in my early years, but then i moved forward and there was no driveshaft any more, he was left far behind, there were even bigger players, the best of them who would come in my next servers and with whom i would compete with them, not on any Travian Stats page only, but also on the Travian Hall of Fame!

- Morphy
Year August 2009-March 10. s2.in server

No comments: